Undergraduate Research Awards
Undergraduate Research Awards (UGRAs) are $1,000 scholarships provided to undergraduate students pursuing original research or creative projects under the general guidance of a KU faculty member or another approved mentor. Each UGRA proposal must be sponsored by a KU affiliated faculty member or approved mentor who has read and approved the proposal and who agrees to oversee the conduct and completion of the project.
To complete your application, you will submit the application form via this system and upload your UGRA proposal. Additionally, your mentor must submit a letter of recommendation. You will include your mentor’s name and contact information within the form which will send an email to the mentor with uploading instructions once you submit your application.
***Both the student application form and mentor reference must be received in order to be considered for funding.
The deadline for your application/proposal is Friday, March 29, 2024.
The deadline for your mentor’s reference is Monday, April 1, 2024.
Within the application form, you will be asked to upload your UGRA proposal which must be saved as a PDF and follow the guidelines below. Notice the proposal guidelines have changed slightly from previous semesters.
Your proposal should:
- be no more than 5 total pages, including your text content (~2000 words), figures, images, image captions, references, footnotes, appendices, etc.
- be single-spaced and typed using Times New Roman 12 point font for main content. Additional text can be used as needed to support figures, images, captions, footnotes, etc.
- have 1 inch margins top, bottom, right, and left.
- have a title at the top of the first page. Please do not include your name.
- include the following sections: abstract/summary, background and introduction, methods and approach, applicant’s preparation, conclusion, and references. Optional content may include figures, charts, and images.
- be saved as a PDF with file name LastnameProposal.PDF. For example, SmithProposal.PDF
***Proposals not meeting the criteria outlined above may not be considered for review.
For full information and additional regulations related to the UGRA application and proposal, see https://ugresearch.ku.edu/student/fund/research-awards.
Students working in groups and students who have previously received a UGRA should review this webpage: https://ugresearch.ku.edu/student/fund/ugra/proposal
If you would like someone from the Center for Undergraduate Research to review your application proposal before submitting or you experience technical difficulties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.